Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 36:26 — 50.0MB)
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | Android | Pandora | iHeartRadio | Stitcher | Blubrry | JioSaavn | Podchaser | Gaana | Podcast Index | Email | TuneIn | Deezer | Anghami | RSS | More
“Turning 40 was nothing! – Turning 50 Feels Profound.”
Turning 50 – What Happened?
Oh my God…where has the last 20, even 30 years gone? In today’s episode, I review what turning 50 means to me, what feels different, and outline what I want the next few decades to look like. I also share my findings of what others say they have experienced entering the 5th decade of their life.
I have discovered that I feel more accepting of who I am than ever before. Moreover, I feel comfortable in my own skin for the first time in my life. The transition started about a year ago when turning 50 revealed itself as waiting just around the corner. While some experience fear during this transition, I have come to embrace what has come and what will come – The future has never seemed so bright.
Welcome to Episode 071: Turning 50
- What We Do:
- Behavioural Medicine and Health Psychology
- Providing easily accessible content designed to help you design your own transformative experience.
- I turned 50 a couple weeks ago.
- For me, turning 50 felt like a much bigger crossroads compared to turning 40.
- Today I reflect on what turning 50 means to me, what feels different, and how I intend to define the next 20-30 years of my life.
What Turning 50 Means To Me
- Feels like the biggest transition yet.
- I feel and urgency to define how my life will look for the coming years.
What Feels Different?
- Less worried about what other’s think of me or my views.
- Less urge to change the world compared to my 20s and 30s.
- 40 was about solidifying my career path. I also got married just before I turned 40.
- Turning 50 is about sustaining my career gains and digging deep intra-personally in seek of being more content and working on my marriage.
- Much deeper focus on giving back, especially to those younger than me.
- I know their struggle – Now that I am on the other side of that struggle, I want to pull others along.
- Deep realization that life is so very short.
- I feel an urgency to accomplish my long term goals.
- I feel drawn to also settle into what I know.
What Others Say about Turning 50
- Clarity about what you want out of life.
- Making “you” the priority and saying yes to yourself.
- Things do not equal happiness.
- Best time to reinvent yourself.
- It’s easier to just be yourself.
- Body Changes
- Age Discrimination
- Pent Up – Unresolved Issues and Bitterness
Defining My Next 20-30 Years
- Stay on the path of what I know:
- Vegan Living
- Minimizing Substance Use
- Settle into things I love:
- Podcasting and Livestreaming
- Personal growth through continued emphasis on my career.
- Always look for opportunities to give back.
How I Will Challenge Myself
- The above!
- Build a small social circle of friends that will be a part of my life for the next 20-30 years.
- Be willing to toss all the above on it’s head and hitting reset whenever it feels right!