“The first thing you do to start your day, sets the tone for the rest of your day.”
Vegan Athletics – Returning To Your Base
In today’s show, Liz Garett, the Plant-Based Power Coach, and I connect to discuss our return to vegan athletics. The journey to wellness has many ups and downs. Knowing that it has been two years since our lest discussion about our personal athletics journey, Liz and I discuss the set-backs and lessons learned for a strong come-back.
How Cultural Warfare Impacts Mood
In our session today, Liz and I discuss the psychological consequences of the past four years as it comes to a head in the final months to a potential second term. The least of these consequences has been the shift away from a focus on health and self-care, towards addictive – often entertaining, news headlines.
We could have never predicted that Donald Trump could make it to the White House. Almost half of Americans voting to make it so. In 2015, we then estimated that all we had to do was wait out the four years of spray tans and drama designed to divert attentions away from what was build in the previous eight years.
Then the unthinkable – COVID19. There is no worse circumstance than the ineptness of a Trump administration at the helm to guide Americans through the worst pandemic in a hundred years.
We acknowledge that the past four years has forced individuals into a cultural war for what once was, against the dangers of populism, even in the face of Trump being exactly what he warns his base against.
Developing Hope Through Self-Care
We must get control back. Regardless of the election results in November, Liz and I discuss the power of vegan athletics in our lives. In order to reinforce this high level goal, self-care must be the primary focus moving us forward. Jerod and Liz share their own approaches to self-care in the midst of the Chaos.
- How long has it been?
- Liz and “Plant-Based Power Coach”
- An approach to vegan athletics
- Current services offered
- How people can find the Plant-Based Power Coach
- Previous projects with Liz and Jerod
Running Come Back
- Connect back with running at same time (Garmin)
- What made Jerod back off on running?
- Career autopilot
- Self-doubt and perfectionism
- What made Liz back off on running?
- Activism/Work auto-pilot
- Depression, negative self-talk
- Falling into bad habits/lack of healthy routine
- Vegan athletics for 2020/21 – Goals to live by
World Events on Consciousness/Depression
- Defining what weighs on us
- Sense of safety
- No compass for what is right and wrong
- GOP: Seeing that self-interest is the measuring stick over making decisions for the greater good
- Seeing oppression of the religious right winning for the first time in years (theocracy)
- This creates a sense of hopelessness and no path forward
Needed Focus on Self-Care
- Jerod’s Suggestions
- News diet
- One foot in front of other – Plan for future goals
- Believe in something – Who you are, your values, something greater than yourself
- Liz’s Suggestions
- Daily routine- start in morning with daily run, daily exercise, ongoing challenges with friends & regular health coaching/group fitness teaching to maintain motivation
- Focusing on my happiness first, then leftover time for anything else
- Gratitude and Law of Attraction, daily journaling, meditation, affirmations