Why does Finding My Psych support the adoption of a plant-based diet?
At Finding My Psych, we support the adoption of a plant-based diet as part of a holistic approach to healthy living. Several of the members of the Finding My Psych team have adopted a plant-based lifestyle as part of their own personal journey to wellness.
Eating a plant-based diet has been shown to have profound impact on health. The most notable work is by Dr. Dean Ornish, cardiologists and researcher. Ornish's work has shown that a diet free of most animal products, when combined with exercise and stress reduction methods, can reverse the vascular damage resulting in heart disease.
If you are looking for specific peer-reviewed literature about the positive health benefits of eating a plant-based diet, we recommend the following curated resources to get you started. Please feel free to reach out for more resources by submitting an information request:
- Dr. Dean Ornish: "Program for Reversing Heart Disease"
- Dr. Michael Greger: "How Not To Die"
- Philip J. Tuso, et al.: "Nutritional Update for Physicians: Plant-Based Diets"
Does Finding My Psych allow guest authors?
An Important Decision
In late 2019, the Finding My Psych leadership team made the executive decision to no longer consider articles written by guest authors. At this time, all content is written by founder, Jerod Killick, after carful review by Chief Editor, Johnny Killick.
Why The Decision?
Over the past two years since our official launch in April of 2018, we received an overwhelming number of requests from individuals wanting to have their content published on Finding My Psych. Unfortunately, requests were either written by professional spammers, or submitted content too low in quality to even consider.
Striving For Excellence
Finding My Psych seeks to provide evidence-based resources for our readers. We strive for excellence in everything we do. Where we fall short, we acknowledge our mistake and revise content to bring it to a level we are proud of. Guest posting rarely meets this expectation.
What is the Finding My Psych comment policy?
We want you to feel at home when you engage with us on Finding My Psych. We don’t know what your home is like, but we know how we expect people to behave when they visit ours.
Our No. 1 house rule is simple: Don’t be a jerk.
Want to be the kind of participant we’d love to bring home to dinner? Here’s what we like to see:
- Weigh in with smart, informed ideas when providing feedback.
- Give us useful, constructive criticism. Spot a typo or an error? Let us know and we will correct it.
- Demonstrate and share the intelligence, wisdom, and humor we know you possess.
Although we can’t be everywhere at once, here are some of the kinds of comments we’re going to do our best to curtail:
- Promoting your own brand, product, or blog. So you’ve got a solution that will solve world poverty. Great! Send us a private email with your pitch.
- Impersonating authors or other commenters. We can’t believe we have to say this, but: Don’t do that. It’s weird.
- Comments that make it clear you know nothing about our site. Enraged that we didn’t mention X in a story about Y? Slow down. If you’d made it past paragraph two, you’d see a very well thought-out discussion of that X you hold so dear.
- Comments that are completely out of left field. Sometimes discussions veer off a bit, but are still related to the original subject. That is fine.
- Threats — no matter how vague. Nothing to say here. Just don’t do it!
- Racism, sexism, homophobia, you get the drift. Not much to say on this one either – If you break this code of conduct, you will be immediately banned.
- Trolling. If you’re just out for a good trolling and are not contributing meaningfully to the conversation, we’ll be pushing you back under the bridge.
What is the Finding My Psych policy on user privacy?
PII, as described in the 2018 General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the Canadian, "Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA)," and by State-to-State US privacy laws for information security, is a source of privacy information for consumers. In the event that you have questions about privacy, we also make available our contact information below.
What personal information do we collect?
Finding My Psych does not collect cookie data on users with the exception of Google Analytics in an effort to understand more about our audience. We do not use remarketing. When you sign up for a membership (MailChimp), we store the information you provide us until you successfully unsubscribe from our service.
Finding My Psych uses Zendesk to fulfill service and information requests of our users. Once your ticket has been successfully completed, we remove user data upon request.
When do we collect information?
We collect information when you subscribe to our newsletter (Mailchimp), engage in a chat session, or enter information through our contact form. We also collect information on where our users are from and most popular landing pages.
How do we use your information?
We may use the information we collect in the following ways:
- To improve our website in order to better serve you.
- To allow us to better service you in responding to your customer service requests.
- To send periodic emails regarding products and services.
- To follow up with consumers after correspondence (live chat, email or phone inquiries)
How do we protect your information?
Our website is scanned on a regular basis for security holes and known vulnerabilities in order to make your visit to our site as safe as possible. This is a malware scanning service provided by our hosting company, Inmotion.
Your personal information is contained behind secured networks and is only accessible by a limited number of persons who have special access rights to such systems, and are required to keep the information confidential. In addition, all sensitive/credit information you supply is encrypted via Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology.
We implement a variety of security measures when a user enters, submits, or accesses their information to maintain the safety of your personal information.
We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your Personally Identifiable Information unless we provide users with advance notice.
This does not include website hosting partners and other parties who assist us in operating our website, conducting our business, or serving our users, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential.
We may also release information when its release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others' rights, property or safety.
However, non-personally identifiable visitor information may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses.
Occasionally, at our discretion, we may include or offer third-party products or services on our website. These third-party sites have separate and independent privacy policies. We therefore have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked sites. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our site and welcome any feedback about these sites.
Finding My Psych uses Google Analytics services. We do not show ads from Google Ads service.
California Online Privacy Protection Act
See more at: http://consumercal.org/california-online-privacy-protection-act-caloppa/#sthash.0FdRbT51.dpuf
According to CalOPPA, we agree to the following:
- Users can visit our site anonymously.
- You can change your personal information by sending us a support ticket.
How does our site handle Do Not Track signals?
We honour Do Not Track signals, and thus, do not use advertising when a Do Not Track (DNT) browser mechanism is in place.
Does our site allow third-party behavioural tracking?
At Finding My Psych, we do not allow third-party behavioural tracking with the exception of Google Analytics in an effort to understand our most popular content.
COPPA (Children Online Privacy Protection Act)
When it comes to the collection of personal information from children under the age of 13 years old, the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) puts parents in control. The Federal Trade Commission, United States' consumer protection agency, enforces the COPPA Rule, which spells out what operators of websites and online services must do to protect children's privacy and safety online.
We do not specifically market to children under the age of 13 years old.
Fair Information Practices
The Fair Information Practices Principles form the backbone of privacy law in the United States; the concepts they include have played a significant role in the development of data protection laws around the globe. Understanding the Fair Information Practice Principles and how they should be implemented is critical to comply with the various privacy laws that protect personal information.
In order to be in line with Fair Information Practices we will take the following responsive action, should a data breach occur:
- We will notify you via email within 1 business day.
- We will notify the users via in-site notification within 1 business day.
We also agree to the Individual Redress Principle which requires that individuals have the right to legally pursue enforceable rights against data collectors and processors who fail to adhere to the law.
This principle requires not only that individuals have enforceable rights against data users, but also that individuals have recourse to courts or government agencies to investigate and/or prosecute non-compliance by data processors.
CAN SPAM Act
The CAN-SPAM Act is a law that sets the rules for commercial email, establishes requirements for commercial messages, gives recipients the right to have emails stopped from being sent to them, and spells out tough penalties for violations.
We collect your email address in order to:
- Send information, respond to inquiries, and/or other requests or questions
- Market to our mailing list or continue to send emails to our clients after the original digital download transaction has occurred (Mailchimp).
To be in accordance with CANSPAM, we agree to the following:
- Not use false or misleading subjects or email addresses.
- Identify the message as an advertisement in some reasonable way.
- Include the physical address of our business or site headquarters.
- Monitor third-party email marketing services for compliance, if one is used.
- Honor opt-out/unsubscribe requests quickly.
- Allow users to unsubscribe by using the link at the bottom of each email.
If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from receiving future emails, you can email us at: email@example.com. We will promptly remove you from ALL correspondence.
Contacting Finding My Psych
- Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Reach out via our official contact form.
- Phone/TXT: 778-766-4574 (CAN) or, 442-267-3102 (USA).
(Last Edited on August 2nd, 2020)
What are the Finding My Psych terms and conditions of use?
By accessing this Website, accessible from https://findingmypsych.com, you are agreeing to be bound by these Website Terms and Conditions of Use and agree that you are responsible for the agreement with any applicable local laws. If you disagree with any of these terms, you are prohibited from accessing this site. The materials contained in this Website are protected by copyright and trade mark law.
2. Use License
Permission is granted to temporarily download one copy of the materials on Finding My Psych’s Website for personal, non-commercial transitory viewing only. This is the grant of a license, not a transfer of title, and under this license you may not:
- modify or copy the materials;
- use the materials for any commercial purpose or for any public display;
- attempt to reverse engineer any software contained on Finding My Psych’s Website;
- remove any copyright or other proprietary notations from the materials; or
- transferring the materials to another person or “mirror” the materials on any other server.
This will let Finding My Psych to terminate upon violations of any of these restrictions. Upon termination, your viewing right will also be terminated and you should destroy any downloaded materials in your possession whether it is printed or electronic format.
All the materials on Finding My Psych’s Website are provided “as is”. Finding My Psych makes no warranties, may it be expressed or implied, therefore negates all other warranties. Furthermore, Finding My Psych does not make any representations concerning the accuracy or reliability of the use of the materials on its Website or otherwise relating to such materials or any sites linked to this Website.
Finding My Psych or its suppliers will not be held accountable for any damages that will arise with the use or inability to use the materials on Finding My Psych’s Website, even if Finding My Psych or an authorize representative of this Website has been notified, orally or written, of the possibility of such damage. Some jurisdiction does not allow limitations on implied warranties or limitations of liability for incidental damages, these limitations may not apply to you.
5. Revisions and Errata
The materials appearing on Finding My Psych’s Website may include technical, typographical, or photographic errors. Finding My Psych will not promise that any of the materials in this Website are accurate, complete, or current. Finding My Psych may change the materials contained on its Website at any time without notice. Finding My Psych does not make any commitment to update the materials.
Finding My Psych has not reviewed all of the sites linked to its Website and is not responsible for the contents of any such linked site. The presence of any link does not imply endorsement by Finding My Psych of the site. The use of any linked website is at the user’s own risk.
8. Governing Law
Any claim related to Finding My Psych’s Website shall be governed by the laws of Canada, without regards to its conflict of law provisions.
What are the benefits of Finding My Psych services?
The services you have access to at Finding My Psych are here to benefit you and your wellness journey. In the end, from our perspective, it's all about you! We are proud of the highly engaged relationships we form with readers and listeners. Sometimes, all you need is a little bit of extra support from a professional knowledge expert in the content area you are interested in.
As a member of Finding My Psych, you will experience the following benefits:
- Free individualized one-on-one sessions with a Finding My Psych team member helping you launch your wellness journey.
- Article and podcast episodes walking you through therapeutic tools of the trade, typically only learned when working with a therapist.
- Free information and research answers for your clinical and research oriented questions with a member of the Finding My Psych team.
- All engagement informed by evidence-based clinical practice and research from the field of Health Psychology and Behavioural Medicine.
**To learn more about the services offered on Finding My Psych, please visit the Finding My Psych Services page.
What services does Finding My Psych offer members?
Members Only Benefits
Finding My Psych provides the evidence-based health and wellness answers you are look for. We also acknowledge that individuals do best when they have the option to connect with a real person armed with in-depth research and clinically focused knowledge.
As a member, you have access to the following services:
- Individualized Wellness Support: Are you ready to launch your wellness journey but don’t know where to start? Finding My Psych now offers one-on-one wellness support tailored to meet your health focused needs. One of our wellness experts is ready to help you design transformation focused goals for that first step of your journey.
- Build Your Toolbox: Exclusive members only articles and podcast episodes designed to help you meet your health and wellness goals – Build a robust set of skills utilizing a cognitive-behavioural approach to personal transformation.
- Information Support (Research): Looking for an article or want to gain a deeper understanding of a specialized topic? We got you covered! Exclusive members get individualized answers to important Health Psychology and Behavioural Medicine questions.
Contact a Team Member
How do you tap into the services offered at Finding My Psych? It's simple!
- Become a member today!
- Email the team: email@example.com.
- Reach out using our official contact form.
- Phone/TXT: 778-766-4574 (CAN) or, 442-267-3102 (USA).
**If you want to learn more about the services offered, please visit the Finding My Psych Services page.
What is the mission of Finding My Psych?
Finding My Psych provides well curated, professionally informed, evidence-based resources from the field of Behavioural Medicine. Through our regularly published articles and podcast episodes, we seek to promote an in-depth understanding of the psychological, behavioural and cultural factors that contribute to health and wellness.
Who is Jerod Killick?
Jerod Killick is the founder and creative director of the Finding My Psych website and podcast. He received his Masters Degree in Clinical Psychology in 1997 at the University of Idaho, and later completed a post-graduate clinical and research concentration in Behavioural Medicine and Health Psychology.
Jerod currently works as a senior leader in mental health and addictions for Vancouver Coastal Health. As a Mental Health and Substance Use Program Operations Manager, he leads both community and acute based teams in delivering services through a patient and family centred care lens.
Jerod is also the author of the novel, “Without A Testimony,” a coming of age love story steeped in religious conflict. In 2018, he released, “Youthful Discontent,” a short book of poems written in his youth.
In his free time, Jerod is a fine art analogue photographer. His work is deeply inspired by time spent with family back in Norway, moments from his childhood in Southeast Alaska, and the high plains deserts of the Pacific Northwest.